Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bush Daisy and Japanese Red maple seeds?

Posted by trmeyer z5a MO (My Page) on
Sat, May 6, 06 at 22:23

I picked some seeds off a bush daisy plant today, when can I plant them? Do i have to wait awhile, or if they are dry can I use them? And also I was wondering, does the japanese red maple have to drop the seeds to use them or can they be picked from the tree? Do they have to dry on it, or before I plant them? Thank you for all your help.

Tracy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bush Daisy and Japanese Red maple seeds?

If your "Bush Daisy" is Euryops, just plant the seeds right away. A lot of warmweather plants have seeds that don't need stratification, or cold tratment, and are best when fresh.

As for the Japanese maple, those do need a cold treatment. The seeds can be picked from the tree, but they must be ripe or mature. (Around the end of sept./beginning Oct. here, in New York City area) Once you've picked the seeds, plant them right away. Fresh is better - do not let them dry out. As I said, they need a cold stratification. The easiest way I have found to do this, is to plant them, in flats, or pots, outside, right after harvesting. Cover with screening or mesh, to keep the squirrels, and mice, from digging them up and eating them. They will germinate in the spring.

o
RE: Bush Daisy and Japanese Red maple seeds?

Thank you for this helpful information. You know what's terrible, I can't find my bush daisy seeds. I was going to go ahead and plant them, because I never heard anything from anybody, and now I don't know what I done with them:) But I did go ahead and plant the japanese maple. It is protected from varmints digging in it, so will leave it until spring. Thanks again!!!!

Tracy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here