Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to keep seed pods from opening?

Posted by monicatx z8 TX (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 23:02

Hi, I just gathered some green seed pods from my moon flower bushs. They are so pretty with the little spines on them. How can I keep them from opening when they dry?

When I did a general search on the internet I found a listing on milk weed. It said to put superglue on the pod seams and they would not open. Will this work on other seed pods?

Hope you know. My pods always open and release the seeds. Yes, I do re-seed also, but have lots of pods this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to keep seed pods from opening?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 9:36

Superglue?! I've never heard that before. It might work for a bit, but the release of seeds is like having a baby. The seed has to come out, lol. My solution(and many other people's) is to use organza draw string gift bags over the pods. I save them from showers, weddings, etc. My SIL thinks they look neat on plants that I'm saving seeds from though I think it is a bit silly looking. I've seen people sew their own bags so if your handy that way, you could make them.
Remy

o
RE: how to keep seed pods from opening?

A paper bag and twist-tie from the bread bag will work, too. Enclosures like these are necessary for some of the exploding types of seed pods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here