Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngardening24

saving columbine seeds

I was wondering if I should save columbine seeds since they will probably not come true from seed and people may not want to trade for them not knowing what the plants will look like.

I also have alot of purchased flower seed packages that are opened and wanted to know if people trade opened packages.

Thank you.

Comments (8)

• zeroXstaticlife
    9 years ago

I always save my columbine seeds. When trading just say columbine and sometimes people might still want them. Or state which ones you have and let them decide. Even hybrids are pretty! Me personally I love columbines. And with the purchased seed packs just be honest and say that's what they are. Some people don't mind. They might be hard to find in their area. Just be sure to be honest. Some only want organic or heirloom seeds.

• gardenlady4pwc
    9 years ago

I too always save my columbine seeds & harvest only colors that I want in my garden. Now I have a wonderful display of only white & purple & they stay true each year.
    I have tons of seeds from the last few seasons & way too many to ever use in my life-time but it is fun to harvest them

The plant is so beautiful that I plant everywhere there is room.

Good luck. I live in great zone so that helps as well. Zone 7VA

• zeroXstaticlife
    9 years ago

It is indeed fun to harvest them. I have purple and white as well. I have some tequila sunrise I plan to plant in another section. Columbines are so pretty! Easy and low maintenance!

• esanchez0809
    9 years ago

would any of you like to trade some of your columbine seeds?

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure. I have red/white winky series,canadensis, and a few cameo series pink collected from my own plants recently. Have a few purchased dragonfly hybrids, vulgaris woodside variegata, and tower pink. The purchased seeds have no more than 20 seeds but could trade a few of them.

• thebadmonkey
    9 years ago

Apparently there are several of us that enjoy our columbines. I normally stay with the species varieties as much as I can, but recently am taking in a few hybrids. Funny thing happened.. I was trying so hard to germinate a very rare variety I had from years back (Aquilegia macedonia). I found a package I thought were those. I planted several seeds everywhere I could find a spot. This year they bloomed... Aq. Chrysantha! Don't know where I got them, but now I have 2 dozen plants!

• Gretchen W.
    9 years ago

I have a deep magenta color and the yellow and lite pink version if anyone wants some seeds.

I also put a mixed portion together - I cut all the seed pods and put them in one bag. It would be a surprise when they come up. :)
    I will pay the postage. I have old postage stamps from 19 years ago and am trying to use them up so postage is on me. Just email me your address and I will get them out to you. I live in Dallas.

Happy Gardening

This post was edited by Gretchen7 on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 12:14

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I find people like to trade for opened packaged seeds, too. So often a person doesn't need an entire package. Like the posts before have said, give as much information as you can. List the year they were purchased, the variety of seed, the name of the seed company, etc. In fact, there is a group that trades commercial seed they have left over in the fall. People especially like it if they are rare or hard-to-find.