Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a data base on the viability of seeds ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 08 at 23:23

Is there a data base on the internet that you'd recommend which tells you how long certain seeds are known to remain viable on the average?

Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a data base on the viability of seeds ...

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 3, 08 at 21:43

Hi Roselee,
There really is no comprehensive list. There are a few vegetable and common flower seed lists. Those are just guides though. I think there are not many lists because there are so many factors involved on the viability of seeds.
Most seeds though last a few years some many years. A few seeds have a very short shelf life.
Spring ephemerals(plants that appear in spring and go dormant by summer like Virginia Bluebells) and some woodland plants like Hellebore tend to have seeds that need to be planted immediately upon ripening or they will never germinate.
Some other plants have seed that need to be sown by the following year or they won't germinate like alliums.
Generally though most flowers and veggies do well for a few years. I have many 3-5 year old seed I sowed this year and had excellent germination.
If you have specific seed you are wondering about, you can always post about that seed. Or if you have enough seed(unless it is seed that needs a cold period) you could do a paper towel germination test.
I hope this helped some,
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here