Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach tree seed help

Posted by janet_w TX 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 20, 06 at 23:35

I put up a lot of peaches today. Can these seeds be planted to grow peach trees? If yes, how do I clean and store the seeds and when should they be planted?

Thank you
Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach tree seed help

Do you know what variety they are? If it is a hybrid, I wouldn't save it, because of having to wait and see what you might get (it won't come true), and it might not be worth all the time and trouble.

If it is not a hybrid, I'd say, 'go for it'.

My seed saving book says...clean off pulp...float for empty seeds.

Don't let them dry out for more than a few weeks b4 planting. Sow in Aug, or early Sept, after a period of stratification.

Possibly someone else know more about the stratification period.
Sue

o
RE: Peach tree seed help

just plant them all and dont worry about it. nature will take good care of it all. they take a long time to come up. they always seem to come up in the spring anyway. so dont worry about when you put them in.

what I have done is plant them in a long row. with a marker at each end. then the next year when they come up I know where to look for them. I can dig them up and move them to where I want them to grow.

it gets real cold here and not all of the seeds live through the winter for me. but that is good. i only want the hearty kinds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here