Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought some fresh peas, can I save/dry them?

Posted by spaghetina NorCal Bay Area (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 1:40

My favorite farm stand has the absolute best fresh English peas I've ever eaten. The pods are huge (about 6"), and the peas inside are almost always tender, crisp, large, and sweet.

Today, I went and picked up about 5 lbs. to eat raw (I'd rather sit with a bag of peas than a bag of chips), and a few were a bit old and beginning to split. I put them aside thinking maybe I could dry and save them to plant in the fall.

(Stupid sounding question, I know, but this is my first year gardening, so bear with me, lol.) Is is even possible to save the peas from something I bought and plant them later? Would I need younger peas than ones that are splitting, or is it ideal to have them be as old as they are? I did a search, and found a bit of info about drying beans, but I think that might be something different??

How would I go about saving these peas? I have about 30 of them sitting there with the pods cracked open right now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought some fresh peas, can I save/dry them?

There are alot of produce that you buy in the stores that the seeds are vaiable and will produce. Frugal gardening has alot of tips on that one.

Peas need to be on the vine till the pod is hard to produce seed that is viable. I added a link for saving seeds for veggies and it also includes peas in this.

I hope that helps ya!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant A Garden

o
RE: Bought some fresh peas, can I save/dry them?

Thanks, countrycarolyn! That link will come in great handy in the coming months. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here