Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rose moss seed ??????

Posted by lillyjane 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 2:14

Please help me ! LOL :-) I'm new to seed saving & I am trying to figure out how to save the seeds from my rose moss. Pictures would be wonderful if at all possible ")

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rose moss seed ??????

If you are talking about what I think you are, i call them moss roses. They look like a sedum, low growing, with brightly colored flowers. After they bloom, they will develop little pods which contain the seeds. the pods are small, about the size of a small pea, each pod will contain many seeds, look like poppy seeds.

o

Yes that's it ! ") But when do I pick the pod? Will it have to turn brown on the plant or can I pick it with the dead flower pedels still on it & let it dry in the house? Thanks for the response ")
Jan ")

o

I would let them turn yellow. If you pick them too early, they won't be ready. If you wait too long, the seed pod will split and release the seeds 9I let them split and reseed themselves each year)

o

Thanks, I am really enjoying this. I have only saved a few hollyhock seeds last year, & I am having a blast in the yard this year ! ") I want to keep them where they are but also have some in several different places in the yard. I am trying to figure out about saving balsam impatient seeds.
Jan ")

o

I found that if I lightly pull on the seed pods and they come off they are ready, but if they feel like they are stuck they're not ready.

o

Rose Moss/ moss rose, are really one of the easiest
annual seeds to save. I usually so what origami_master does
and let mine reseed every year and move around the little
seedlings when they come back.

Good Luck
Mary

o

what is the green leafy plant that grows with the mossrose seedlings. i plant from last years seeds and they came up to

o

Peppers?

o

My ross moss reseeds like crazy, but usually the reseeded plants produce white or yellow flowers. Not sure why.

o

The impatients/balsam seed pods are so much fun. They are ribbed and hang down. They start out green and turn yellow. If you wait too long, the ribbed pods explode, hurling the seeds in every direction and the ribs curl up. If you want to save seeds lightly press the seed pods when they are yellow. If they are springy the pods will open and curl and the seeds will fall out. Catch them in a bag or your hand. These seeds are mature. They just need to dry out and be planted next year. My family always called them Balsams, but to many other people Balsams mean something else. The different seed pods on different plants are so much fun to see. Enjoy your gardening!
Heidi

o

Moss rose is Portulaca grandiflora. Truly, most people call them Portulaca, which is FAR less confusing than all of the common name variations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here