Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to save seeds from Pulsatilla vulgaris

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 4:23

I have finally been able to have a nice clump of these flowers blooming a couple of springs and enjoy them thoroughly (also called Pasque flower). The seeds are best sown fresh and I would love to share them with other gardeners but I don't know where they are and how to save them? Can anyone help? The seed heads are now beautiful fluffy balls, so I guess they are ready.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to save seeds from Pulsatilla vulgaris

The seeds are actually at the base of the fluffy strings. If you pull the fuzzy strings off, you will see a slight widening at the end where the fuzz was attached to the plant. That is the seed. I'd recommend sharing or planting those seeds as is and as quickly as possible. I'd try the wintersowing method, but not wait until winter to sow them. I'd plant now and keep them in a shady area until you notice sprouts. Then, separate those into individual pots, or plant them into the ground. I've grown them from seed before, but then planted them in a spot that was too shady and they didn't survive. They are one of my absolute favorite spring plants. I may need to swipe some seed from my neighbor's plant and try to grow them again. Good luck.

Martha

o
RE: How to save seeds from Pulsatilla vulgaris

Thank you for your detailed instructions, Martha. These have become one of my favourite spring plants because they last so long, and go through so many different forms. They grow in my full sun rock garden with lots of other spring bloomers and ground covers. I got the seeds for these plants through a trade and used winter sowing. The reason I wanted to save the seeds was to see if I could share some of the seed with someone else, since I understand they are best sown fresh. I really cannot remember my experience with growing them, but know that I tried a few times before succeeding. It's time for me to harvest now, since I noticed today that some of the tufts and blowing away. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here