Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Way to Save Seed

Posted by alabama_jan Zn8AL (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 5:26

I was wondering if anyone had a better way to save seed from different flowers from year to year. I make sure that the seeds are dry, put them in paper towels and fold them up, label them and put them in a cool place. Do you soak the seeds in warm water before planting them the next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Way to Save Seed

I use #0 craft envelopes (coin envelopes) to store them, as they breathe and lets the seed dry more if they haven't dried enough. Lots of people use small plastic zip-loc-type baggies, but you have to make sure the seeds are very dry. Some seeds can't take dry storage (jeffersonia, sanguinaria, etc.), so you have to keep them moist, so a moist paper towel in a zip-loc is probably a good idea (I personally don't like to mess with these ones, because it's too much bother).

Most seeds won't require warm-water soaking when sown. Probably all don't, really, but with some you can help it germinate by soaking, or nicking, etc., like sweet peas (soak), some irises (nick and soak), moon flower vine (nick and soak), etc.

o
RE: Best Way to Save Seed

I also was using the #0 coin envelopes to save most seed.
I always keep a few in my purse & in the car for new finds.
I found a site that has free printable envelopes that just need to be cut & glued together.They have cute designs & are very easy. Hope they work as well for you. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: free printable seed packets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here