Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant Hollyhock seed for next year?

Posted by buckeyejoe 8 Coastal Carolina (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 30, 06 at 10:02

I had one hollyhock this year. It did well, a double yellow flower. When do I harvest the seed? how do I handle them? When do I start the seed for next years crop? or would they start and bloom yet this year if I started them now? I live on the coast of southern NC.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant Hollyhock seed for next year?

I cut the seeds from the mama when they are brown and dry. Some may start to open, that is o.k.

I leave them in the pods and store them in paper coin envelopes that I buy at the office supply.

This is my first experience with hollyhocks, and I am just totally thrilled. My friend in Idaho shared seeds with me, and I planted them in the spring last year. I have lots of babies in the garden that reseeded from the mama. I am going to put them where I want them to grow. I think they will make it through our winter just fine, I worry more about the heat of our summer. I am also going to sow some seeds and try and keep track of their progress, so I know more about what I am doing with them.

My hollyhock is red, and grew to about 10 feet, covered in beautiful dark green foliage and gorgeous red flowers. I am happy to share seeds. Would you have a yellow seed pod to share?

OR is that allowed here? Just slap me if it is not. I am not familiar with the customs on this forum.

Janie

o

Well, folks--they're biannual. If you sow them now, fresh, they should germinate and grow into nice little plants this season. That means they may bloom next year--so why wait to plant till next spring? Same with columbine if you have that seed, too. Also, this will speed up the blooming wait on oriental poppies and lupine--

Just my 2 cents. This is what I do, and it works for me :)

o

So you do that with poppies up in Wisconsin too? I hadn't thought about that. They would not survive the winter would they? Or do the poppies not sprout until the following spring. I tried planting some here in zone 7 last fall and sure enough they came up with the first glimpse of spring.
Still experimenting with poppies, they are most interesting flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here