Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrgardner

Cleome - where are the seeds

jrgardner
18 years ago

My cleome is blooming nicely and I understand that they reseed, but I would like to collect some seeds to start the season earlier next year. Where are the seeds on the cleome and what do they look like?

Thanks,

JR

Comments (13)

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

They produce long slender pods. They'll get bumpy, and when the turn brown, they're ready to harvest. I usually wait to long, and they end up splitting and dispersing all over the place ;)

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Me too. I use the touch test and run my fingers down them when they are yellow. If they split apart and seeds fall out, I figure they are ready.

• jleek
    18 years ago

I find these the easiest seeds to harvest. My daughter grows them in florida, where the stems will grow more into a trunk. I just go out with a baggie try to put most of the top of the flower in the baggie (or headed in that direction) and take my fingers and run them from the bottom towards the top and the seeds will just pop out. Seeds on the bottom of the stem rippen first and do turn brown. Look like miniture string beans. When seed pods crack most of the seeds will fall to the ground but often there are still some left in the pod. A morning ritual when I am visiting. Good luck.

• oldfarmer
    18 years ago

How readily does cleome reseed and when does it come up? I am on the cold edge of zone 4.

• MarthaLouis
    18 years ago

I sure am glad you asked this question. I have been wondering the same thing too. Now I know where to look for the seeds. I have Ligth Pink and Dark Pink ones and they are doing wonderful this year. This is the first year that I have had them. I remember them from visiting my grand parents farm when I was a little girl. Funny how just a sinple little flower can bring back such wonderful memories. Thanks for the question....and the answers.

• mutts_fan
    18 years ago

They will reseed easily here in Ontario, Canada! I have cleome growing in different parts of my garden and I did not plant any of them there. I think some of the seeds must have landed in some containers that were nearby and I composted my container soil last fall and reused it in a new lasagne bed for tomatoes which now have 3 cleome plants in it, one white, one pink and one purple.

There are also other volunteers around the area where I did plant them last year. Ditto for Malva Zebrina and Braveheart. Lucky I like them or they may be considered a weed by some other gardener.

One more thing about the cleome, if you dont want volunteers, cut off the pods before they spring open themselves, the rest of the flower will continue to bloom for some time after.

Cheers
    Mary Anne

• oldfarmer
    18 years ago

Thanks Mary Anne. Ah, how I long for the tropics of Ontario. We hit -30F last Christmas Eve. I suspect though that if cleome reseeds ok by you it probably will here too.

• conniemn
    13 years ago

This spring I discovered that 4 out of 12 petunias were growing back along with 2 out 12 snapdragons. We had a sudden deep snowfall and I wonder if that caused it. Anyone else have this happen?

• organic_newbiegarden
    13 years ago

A friend just gave me some seeds and im not sure if i should plant Now or plant in spring.. If I plant in spring should i start indoors and if not can I just store in a baggie or is there special way to store them?

• soinspired
    13 years ago

Actually, you can do both! They are very prolific and really no need to start inside. And, they transplant very well too. I just love them! You might try scattering the seed now and scattering some in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:241485}}

• organic_newbiegarden
    13 years ago

Thanks so much!!! I will try both... I also have a butterfly bush that I need to transplant. is that something I should wait or do in fall?? I didn't realize that they would grow so big so I put it somewhere that probally isn't the best if areas!!!

• organic_newbiegarden
    13 years ago

Thanks so much!!! I will try both... I also have a butterfly bush that I need to transplant. is that something I should wait or do in fall?? I didn't realize that they would grow so big so I put it somewhere that probally isn't the best if areas!!!

• soinspired
    13 years ago

I'm glad I could help! Just remember when planting your cleome though, they don't smell the best. So, don't plant near a seating area or window that may be open to your house. They are stinky but striking. I think I would transplant your butterfly bush next spring. I have one that a neighbor gave me two years ago in the spring. And, it has just done beautifully. However, I was told at a nursery the best time to prune them is late Nov. I did see butterfly bush at Lowe's just yesterday in Indiana that had the most wonderful fragrance. Wish mine smelled as good. Good luck on your gardening and just remember its a lot of trial and error.