Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
travel124

Coreopsis seed saving

travel124
18 years ago

I have a beautiful Bushed out Coreopsis. I want to plant more next year. What do the seeds look like and can I still plant some from this bush this year?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lgiles7122/detail?.dir=ef27&.dnm=b48b.jpg&.src=ph

Comments (6)

• travel124
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This pic above is my Coreopsis Bush. It has really is more prettier than I ever thought it would be. It is 3x the size it was when I planted it last year. I want more of them...lol

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

What a gorgeous coreopsis! I'm assuming that they'll produce seed like all the others. When the spent blooms turns brown and splits on top, you should be able to see the seed. When I see the goldfinches on my lanceleaf coreopsis, that's my cue to harvest seed ;)

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

Would you happen to know the latin name of your coreopsis? I tried to do a search on "coreopsis bush", but came up empty. It's definitely something I'd like to add to my garden.
    Thanks!
    Tracey

• pinkminicoopr
    18 years ago

I have also ben trying to find the seeds on this plant. I bought one from target( I think) and it is a beautiful red almost burgundy color. It is called limerock ruby. I read on one website that there is no seedpod, but seeds are clustered on a seedhead. HUH?? LOL Well my bush either didnt get pollinated? Or the seeds are so darn tiny that you cant see them cause I cant find them. But I also read that if you plant from seed, the wont be the true flower. Well I dont know if this helps you any but also one othername is tickseed, but if you search coreopsis on google you should get something.

Here is a link that might be useful: the seed site

• tammy0725
    16 years ago

Help!! I am trying to harvest my coreopsis seed--I have the tickseed variety. Are the seeds on the podhead---long and narrow--sort of like tiny marigold seed? I looked at the seed site--they look long and narrow and not like scales--must be different seeds for different coreopsis????

• drcristy22
    16 years ago

Yes, the seeds of your coreopsis are on the podhead and look something like the marigold seeds - long and thin. Different coreopsis seeds do vary a little, but I think they all have the same characteristics. I get lots of volunteers every year from just letting the flowers go to seed. They pop up everywhere, then I just transplant them to where they belong once they are about three inches tall. I can't give them away fast enough - they are pretty weeds in my garden! Have fun with your seeds!

Sponsored
More Discussions