Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
columbines

Posted by carolinakate z7b PiedmontNC (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 05 at 11:12

I have a nice batch of shiny black columbine seed from my plants saved to winter sow next Feb. Now I'm wondering if they are good to sow. These columbines were mixed colors, and I've long since thrown out the packet. They would most probably be hybrids, right? What can I expect to get from the seed? Would it be 25% of each parent, and 50% of the hybrid? Or is that too simple?
Thanks.
K.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: columbines

I'm not sure what you mean by not good to sow. If they are shiny black seeds they should grow wonderfully. While I don't know how they mix colors, I've never seen a color I didn't like grow in my garden. If you would like seeds that you are more sure of the colors, some others may only grow one color columbine and you could trade seeds with them.

o

I think I'm just confused about how to label them. If I wanted to trade for instance, would I call them mixed colors, or would they revert to one color. Or should I just say they are columbines of unknown color? I don't want to tell people they're getting something they're not. I guess I've just answered my own question!
Thanks.

o

OH! :) Just state that your flowers mixed colors that are open pollinated... or pollinated by nature :) I think most just take it for granted that the plants are open pollinated unless specified or requested otherwise. You could just put at the top of your seed trade page that all your flowers are pollinated that way if you like.

For mine (my list needs updated...actually all my stuff does LOL) would probably just put Columbine - mixed colors

Hope that helps :)

o

Thanks, Chrissy!
Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here