Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_seeders_husband

crepe myrtle seed

does anyone have a photo of a crepe myrtle seed out of the seedpod? thanks

Comments (6)

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I'd sure like to see a picture of the seed only as well!

~Angela

• token28001
    15 years ago

Here's a picture I found online. I don't have any ripe ones right now.

http://www.mishobonsai.com/images/lagersto.jpg

GW won't let me link to it for some reason.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Thanks, Tom!

I am sending out seed pods from my crepe myrtle because when I opened up the almost open pod, it looked almost like little triangular pieces of paper that fell out. The ones in the picture you just posted, seem less flat than the ones I saw from my plant. Maybe I don't know how to open the pod up yet? Ugggggggggh

~Angela

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

when I opened up the almost open pod, it looked almost like little triangular pieces of paper that fell out.
    The seeds are like paper thin with one end of them being significantly thicker...like a small head on it similar to a maple tree seed.

I had been watching my crepe myrtle seed pods, and wondering when they might be ready to harvest. Todays inspection of some of them shows them all dried (even the base part that attaches to the branch), and some have started to split open....now ready for harvest.

Maybe I don't know how to open the pod up yet? If you wait for them to crack open at the tip, they are easy to open and see just what are the seeds. I'm wondering if some seed pods might have duds in them...like so many things will sometimes make seed pods, but have no viable seeds..irises come to mind.

I am sending out seed pods from my crepe myrtle
    If they are dry to the cracking stage, I'd make sure there were indeed seeds in there. I find there are one of the easier seeds to harvest.

I tried to get a pic of a pod almost ready to harvest (still shiny), the totally dried split pod (no longer shiny) and then the harvested seeds. I am camera challenged and can't get a good shot...sorry. The seeds I harvested today are similar, yet some different than the ones in the pic link above.

Here is a pic of a NO ID Bright Pink Dwarf Crepe Myrtle I will be offering later.

{{gwi:27055}}

What color do you have?

Sue

• cpond20_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Place or hold a large pan or plastic storage container under the end of a branch containing the dry, brown, opened seed pods. Tap the branch below where the (seed pod stems) branch off. The small, itty-bitty seed pods with single itty-bitty wings will practically pour out like black pepper from a shaker into the container. It's best to do this when the air is still or with only a light breeze.

• cvt89_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

i am new to crepe myrtle trees, when do the seeds fall is after they blooom or in the fall i looked at a tree that had some dead pods laying underneath it. are there seeds behind the bloom