Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dainthus: deltoides and gratianopolitanus (Cheddar)

Posted by deanna_in_nh 5a/4b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 13:47

I want to save seeds from my Maiden Pinks (D. deltoides) and Bath's (Cheddar) pinks (D. gratianopolitanus). The only seed info I've found on the web is for the carnation dianthus, which says the seed is a small disk. The seed pod looks similar to what mine are turning out to be, but today I went out to investigate and am confused. I know my seeds aren't ripe yet, though the pods are getting very brown, but I thought I could open a few immature pods to see where the seeds are and thus be prepared for when they are dry. I'm not finding much to help me at all. The Cheddar's seemed to have no seeds in them. I found one that might have had a tiny collection of seeds at the bottom on the pod, but I couldn't be sure.

Can someone help me identify the seeds on these non-carnation dianthus? I would think that as brown as the pods were I would have seen something to hep me. How big are they? Where will they be in the pod?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dainthus: deltoides and gratianopolitanus (Cheddar)

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 19:43

Hi Deanna,
The seed is little dark chips. They really don't look like seeds. Once the seed pods open, you should be able to shake out the dark chippy things.
Now, I do have a dianthus that makes seed pods and does not set seed. Not sure why, so it is possible to get seed pods without any viable seed. I think you should have no problem though.
Remy

o

Thanks again, Remy. You're always so faithful! I'll wait for the seeds pods to open on their own. Hopefully they will set some good seed. Considering all the butterflies and bees I saw on them I KNOW they got pollinated!

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 22:03

You're welcome : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here