Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coreopsis deadheading and self sow seeding

Posted by parissian central nj (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 08 at 14:10

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and found it great help. I have additional questions, though.

I have approx. 50 Jethro Tull coreopsis. Many places say that these coreopsis self sow but bloom is extended if deadheaded..

so here's my question;
1. I've been taking shears and cutting off the "dead" blooms but I leave them on the ground..not picking them up...will it allow for "self-sowing"?

The reason why i just leave it is becasue there's just so many plants and blooms to go around picking up the dead blooms on the bed.

2. If it does'st allow for self-sowing, how do it get the plants to self-sow for next spring..do i just leave the dead blooms on throughout the winter and they'll just self seed and multiple themselves in the spring? I would believe it looks "ugly" or deers will eat the vegetation anywayin the winter..no?

Thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coreopsis deadheading and self sow seeding

im not a huge fan of just allowing the plant to reseed, only in areas to large to worry about. REally if you have a flower bed that you think looks ugle when they dead head, just allow one plant to dead head. One whole plant should be plenty of seed to replace your the complete bed. You will know when the seeds are ready, they will start to fall out,(couple weeks after the flower dries up) but if you cant tell, or dont have time to check, once it gets close meaning the flowers have dried up, cut a small slit in a paper bag and put it over the plant, so it goes over the plant, but just straight up, dont close it over it, when the seeds are ready they will fall in the paper bag, then you can plant them in the fall were you want them to come up in the spring

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here