Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Jalapeno Seeds - Blackish

Posted by sm00nie none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 14:24

Hi all,

I haven't done any gardening, other then helping my Mother years ago, however I decided to grow a few plants in my condo. Certain things like herbs are just ridiculously priced at the grocery store, so I started with those and I'm branching out from there.

I've been picking up peppers and tomatoes from my grocery store and the farmers market, and I've just been harvesting the seeds by placing them in a paper towel and locking them away for 1-2 weeks before planting and so far I've been successful in growing seedlings to 1' plants.

I've recently picked up some Jalapeno seeds and again, I placed the white seeds in a paper towel and stored them in a dry dark cabinet. Now, I decided to put a few in soil and start the germination process. The seeds however are now pretty dark with a lightly whitish center. I just placed a few in a damp paper towel now and it's resting on my refrigerator.

Is that normal, or do I need to harvest and save the seeds using a better method, other than the dry paper towel? I was looking online and the seeds for planting look pretty white.

Thanks,
Shawn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Jalapeno Seeds - Blackish

I think my jalapeños weren't com completely ripened. They were a dark shade of orange and not red. Hopefully, that's it... I have a few more of these. I guess I'll let a few sit in a dry area.

o
RE: Saving Jalapeno Seeds - Blackish

The seeds look like mine and have germinated okay. I let the jalapenos dry intact for many weeks. The peppers turn orange sometimes and lighten in weight. I only proceed with seed saving from the dry peppers that show no evidence of mold. I remove the seeds from the dry flesh and store the seeds in a paper envelope. For long term storage to preserve the seed freshness I place the envelope in a ziploc bag in the freezer. Be careful with the pepper oil on your fingers after the seed separation. I have accidently touched my eye and have been very sorry indeed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here