Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sm00nie

Saving Jalapeno Seeds - Blackish

sm00nie
10 years ago

Hi all,

I haven't done any gardening, other then helping my Mother years ago, however I decided to grow a few plants in my condo. Certain things like herbs are just ridiculously priced at the grocery store, so I started with those and I'm branching out from there.

I've been picking up peppers and tomatoes from my grocery store and the farmers market, and I've just been harvesting the seeds by placing them in a paper towel and locking them away for 1-2 weeks before planting and so far I've been successful in growing seedlings to 1' plants.

I've recently picked up some Jalapeno seeds and again, I placed the white seeds in a paper towel and stored them in a dry dark cabinet. Now, I decided to put a few in soil and start the germination process. The seeds however are now pretty dark with a lightly whitish center. I just placed a few in a damp paper towel now and it's resting on my refrigerator.

Is that normal, or do I need to harvest and save the seeds using a better method, other than the dry paper towel? I was looking online and the seeds for planting look pretty white.

Thanks,
Shawn

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz
More Discussions