Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Procedure for harvesting & planting wild onion seeds?

Posted by corn_squeezer Mid TN (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 16:29

I didn't mow some patches of my yard yet so the wild onions could spawn. Right now the flowers have been gone a few weeks and the tops look like they have bunches of little 3/16" dark purple bulbs some still with green tails and most the tails have dried up and fallen.

1. When to harvest?
2. How to store ?
3. When to sow?

The tiny bulbs are tasty as is!
I plan to have a dedicated wild onion patch in the yard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Procedure for harvesting & planting wild onion seeds?

Update: Now some of the bunches are sprouting small flowers.

o
RE: Procedure for harvesting & planting wild onion seeds?

This is information that I found on the Seed Savers Exchange. this group promotes saving heirloom seeds. They give instructions for onions. If heirloom seeds can be propagated then so can wild plants.

Here is there instructions:

Onion - Planting: Start seedlings indoors 4-6 weeks before transplanting. Sow seeds in flats " deep and spaced 1" in all directions. Transplant as soon as the soil can be worked in the spring.
Seed Saving: Biennial. Onions cross-pollinate and should be isolated by 1 mile from other onions going to seed. Select only the best bulbs for seed. Bulbs store 3-6 months at 32-45 F. Plant out bulbs in early spring and allow them to form seed heads. When the heads start to dry, cut off, dry further and thresh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Savers Exchange

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here