Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collectiing seeds Can I plant them right away?

Posted by mary_max Z 5 Utah (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 11, 06 at 18:16

Today I collected some gaillardia tokajer seeds. Can I go ahead and plant them right away, or do they need to sit for a week or so. They seem pretty dried up. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collectiing seeds Can I plant them right away?

you shoulkd let them sit out and dry if they are wet. If not wet u can put them away

o

I'm not familiar with the variety, but some seeds, such as alpine strawberry, need cold treatement to be viable.

If you can't find any information on the internet you can experiment. Divide some of your seeds into 3 piles.

Plant pile 1 right away nd see if they germinate,

THOUROUGHLY dry piles 2 and 3.

Put pile 2 in the freezer and put pile 3 in the refrigerator, then after about 2 or 3 weeks take them out of the fridge and freezer, let them sit on the counter overnight to bring them back up to room temperature, plant them and see what germinates.

WARNING! - Be sure to dry them very well before cold treating!!

Make sure the moisture content is as close to zero as possible before putting seed in the freezer or you'll destroy them!

Best Wishes
Amino-X

o

Plant them. This is a good time to summer sow using the winter sowing methods. I have grown gaillardia that way and they germinate just beautifully!

Remember, if the plant is releasing the seeds, ma nature is planting. If she's planting, why can't you? Once you have sprouts, I would consider transplanting them to 4 inch pots and then planting your plants out when it's overcast. Gaillardia love dry heat, but they need to be watered in and watched for the first few weeks.

Have fun!

o

Well I sowed the seeds and they sprouted. I have now planted them out in the garden and hopefully they will do their thing real soon. This is so cool!! Thanks for all the great advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here