Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
English daisies

Posted by hpny2 Z5 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 18:55

I planted a pack of mixed color English daises in late winter, they are now blooming in the garden. Some are single, some semi double and in shades of white and pink. There is one plant in particular I would like to save the seed from, its a deeper shade of pink than most, more double than the others too. First of all, how and when do I collect the seed from this plant? And, will the seed be the same as the parent plant, or is there cross pollinating going on with the others, so perhaps the seed won't be identical to the parent ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: English daisies

They will almost certainly cross pollinate. Doubles gradually revert towards their wild ancestors. To collect the seed wait until the flower is withered and monitor it closely. Just remove the head when it is dry and rub between your fingers. The seeds will come apart.

o

Thanks, I guess its not really worth the bother, if its going to cross pollinate and revert to singles. It is so pretty though, any chance it might winter over, if I keep deadheading? I know some nurseries call them perennials, when they are really biennials, but this one is really pretty and I'd love to have more like it. I've never had them winter over, but maybe with some protection, do you think I could winter it over, and maybe divide it next spring, as I would other perennials?

o

I don't know about the cultivated versions but the wild Bellis perennis is totally hardy and will withstand even the coldest winter. They are one of our commonest wild flowers and thrive in lawns where they withstand weekly mowing and bounce right back. Considered a weed by lawn people, although I love them.

o

Hi Flora. In zone 5 NY, bellis doesn't overwinter. I plant it every spring and it doesn't reseed or come back. I even grew it from seed one year and it didn't reseed or winter over. I wish sometimes that I had the climate of the UK!

Hpny2...save the seed and give it a try. Sometimes you can be surprised with experiments.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here