Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vajeff

Gladiolus seed pod emergency

vajeff
12 years ago

So I've been eyeing the glads growing along a friend's hoop house. Unfortunately, I missed the blooming, but have been closely watching the seed pods develop. Today I visited and, to my dismay, the stalks had been cut back and tossed on the compost heap. I snatched them out, checked for any damage, and then tossed them in a vase of water.

Now, my question is... Is there any chance of saving these? They aren't wilted or unhealthy looking, and the pods are sooo plump. I've read that hosta stalks, which have been broken off, can be placed in sugar water until the pods ripen. I've also heard that plants can be hung upside down until the pods burst. I'm afraid the pods may not be fully developed and I suspect it will be a few weeks before they start to ripen... So, what are my options?

Comments (3)

• remy_gw
    12 years ago

If they were cut when the seeds were almost ripe, I would say, ok, worth a try. But it seems awful early and too soon after bloom for the seeds to develop properly. I could be wrong though : )
    Remy

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Your friend might be willing to share some of the bulbs. If not, maybe he/she can leave the seeds to ripen for you next year. Wasn't your friend curious about your shopping through the compost?

• vajeff
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Heh. He was a bit curious to see me fishing around in it... seeing as how compost and such makes me a bit squeamish (germs, bleh!). Thankfully, they were on top. I just wanted the seeds to see if I could get them to grow and whether or not any had crossed. I guess I'll just have to wait for mine to finish up... a shame they all turned out to be red instead of mixed like the package said. Ah well, there's always next year.

Sponsored
More Discussions