Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenathome

Herb Seedling Bolting

gardenathome
13 years ago

Hi, does the maturity or height of the plant affect the viability of the seeds? We have several basil and dill plant seedlings, less than 6" tall, that have bolted due to the heat. Will these seeds be viable for our future use? Thanks in advance, everyone!!! :-)

Comments (4)

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Sure the seed will be good. The plants got signals to produce seed even though they are tiny, but that doesn't affect the seeds they produce.
    Remy

• gardenathome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Remy! Thank you so much!

Please help with another question regarding seed saving. :-) We've read that we should stop watering the plants to allow the flowers to turn brown and dry up. However, the herbs are inter-planted with tomato plants and so it will be difficult to stop watering the herbs, would that interfere with the seed saving?

We've also put little baggies (like you have suggested in another thread! :-) ) around the flower stalks of the basil plants. At this time, we do not see to see any seed pods developing from the spent flowers like we see them on the cilantro plants... Do we just leave the bags on the stems until the whole plant dries up?

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I water my plants as if normal when I let mine turn to seed. I think of it like this when a plant produces a seed or a bloom it is spending its energy and without adequate water the bloom or seed does not produce. So I would advise on continuing to water your plant as normal. I would try not to get water where the seeds are at though, I mean a little water will not hurt but I would focus more on the root area.

As far as the baggy and basil I can't say that it is totally necessary Basil seems to hold its seed pretty well, though someone with more gardening experience than myself may disagree. When collecting seeds from my basil I will wait till the flower heads start to fade. Basil will flower and then as those fade then more of the "bolt" or stem will grow larger and produce more flowers. The flowers will fade in the same way they will fade from the "bottom" of the "bolt" to the top. You can tell the seeds are viable cause the bottom of the stem or "bolt" will start to turn brown. This will continue all the way to the top of the "bolt" or stem. The only part of the plant that will turn brown is the stem that the flowers are on. So no the entire plant must not turn brown before the seeds are viable. Just the stem to where the seeds are from top to bottom must be brown.

• gardenathome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Countrycarolyn! Thank you so much for the detailed information. We're very new to saving herb seeds so didn't know what to expect. This helps alot! What you have described is what we are seeing our basil plants do! Hopefully, we will get a ton of seeds this season. :-)

We appreciate everyone's help!!! Thanks again!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions