sarahb1982

morning glory seeds

sarahb1982
17 years ago

how do i save theam and whear are thay and how do i get theam

Comments (10)

• bakemom_gw
    17 years ago

The flower will produce a round pod with chunky seeds in them. When the pod becomes brown and papery, you can crumble them and harvest the seeds.

• raven08603
    17 years ago

This year I have been really successful in growing my morning glories from seed and have about 50 plants of about 5 varieties. I want to collect seeds for me to use and exchange next year. I have read the posts saying the vine makes pods. Where are these pods??? What is the process for me to collectthse seeds? Any and all help is appreciated.

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Raven,
    My morning glories usually don't set pods until later in the season, last year my Grandpa Ott
    didn't set their pods until fall. Be patient and they will come - you will have so many
    you won't be able to collect them all.

• znia
    15 years ago

I have read that it takes a few weeks for the pods to dry up, but its been well over three weeks since my pods have shown up and none have dried up. Is there anyway to make this process quicker, I'd like to get them before the frost.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Where are you located? It's more difficult to answer questions if we don't knkow where you are. Consider editing your page. For me here in Columbus, Ohio, I am just starting to harvest MG seeds.

• wally_1936
    15 years ago

When I lived in the D.C. area they grew wild in Virginia and Marland area. People still enjoyed growing them in their yard also. Down here in Texas they seem to just keep growing without much help. I don't think a freeze would hurt those seed pods as that is how many of them re-plant themselves in Virginia.

• tonyanton
    15 years ago

Some of the collected seeds are bigger than others Are they all usable?

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

I was surprised the collected seeds are so much smaller than the packet seed used to grow the original vine.

I too wondered if they produced a vine as good or as vigorous as the original seed. I have not doubt there will be lots of seedlings from dropped seed but do they give the same bloom "show" as new seeds...don't know.

• katbird
    10 years ago

I am at my daughters home and her son grew mg's in two containers, I am waiting for it to quit raining and am going to see if any seed pods are still there..will they have to go thru straitification in the spring ( the ones collected)
    thank you for the replies here.

Sponsored
More Discussions