Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eastexdeb67

Collecting & Saving Columbine Seeds

eastexdeb67
12 years ago

I have a Columbine plant, bought at a home improvement store, which bloomed and now has brown seed pods which rattle when shaken. Other pods are green. Should I now cut the stems which have the pods? I don't want to wait too late and lose the seeds in the wind. There is no room for the seeds to fall into the pot because of the leaves. Then, I live in Texas where there are about 3 months of very warm to hot weather. Could I put them in the freezer for a week and then plant them? I know the question has been asked before, but it was someone in a high altitude with only 6 weeks of summer left. I hope someone can help.

Comments (4)

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I was just out gathering dried seed pods off some of my columbine, but I have several varities and I don't know which one that I took them off is..I think they are McKann's(spelling?) I put mine on a paper plate as I cut them, then once I was inside, laid a paper towel out on the counter and tap, tap, tap, and sometime I had to use my finger to get them to drop out. You'd be surprized how many a few pods add up to. I then folded a piece of sturdier paper and transferred them into the plastic ziploc bag. I know several friends who are waiting for them. I have some clementine blue and I can't find the seeds on those. It has a bloom that opens up like a regular flower, not in the trumpet style like McKann's..Does anybody have Clementine blue or red variety. Maybe you can tell me how I find the seeds on that variety. I can't help you on your question about putting them in the freezer. What is the freezer method(cold stratification?)

• remy_gw
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Brown pod which rattle is a good sign the seeds are ripe. You normally can tell they are ready because the tops will start to split. The seeds will be shiny and black. Green pods are definitely not ripe and can not be picked. They do not fall out really fast so if you are out there all the time, you will be able to get the seeds. One thing you can do for saving the seeds if you are not out there all the time is to use little organza drawstring gift bags over the seeds pods. the seeds will stay in the bags.
    I do not recommend putting them straight into plastic baggies as Pippi suggested above. This may reduce germination. Though the seeds are dry to us, there may be residual moisture in them. It is best to let them dry on a plate for at least a week (really large seeds may take longer) to make sure they are truly dry. Then they can be transferred to plastic.
    As far as freezing now goes, no that really isn't the best idea for this time of year. Once you do that, if it works, you'll have babies trying to grow in the worst weather. It is better to wintersow (Check out the Winter Sowing Forum.) the seeds in pots over the winter. Or if you were planning on having them in your garden somewhere, direct planting them can work. I don't have the best luck with planting seeds directly into my garden. I have much better luck with winter sowing.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Thanks Remy, I will remove them from the plastic ziploc tomorrow and put out in a paper plate. I'm glad you saw my posted message. I appreciate the advice.

Remy, I can't find any seeds on those Clementine series colubines. I looked again this afternoon. Are they a sterile variety?

• remy_gw
    12 years ago

Pippi,
    I've never heard of a sterile columbine so I'm going to assume that is not the problem. Did seed pods develop and they seem devoid of seeds or no pods ever developed at all?
    Remy

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA
More Discussions