Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geum and others - how to harvest?

Posted by gardengirl_17 z5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 21:23

I have a few flowers that I would like to harvest seed from but don't know what the mature seed heads look like or how best to harvest them. If you can give any advice on the following, I would appreciate it!

Geum
Tanacetum niveum
Heliopsis

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geum and others - how to harvest?

http://theseedsite.co.uk/db22.html

Use this site. Shows pictures of seeds, organized by latin genus and species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Site

o

Hi Kim! I grow both Heliopsis Lorraine Sunshine and Summer Sun. The seed is attached to the ends of the petals that ripen at the base. They are chunky arrowheads that are ripened to black when they are ready and they will literally fall out of the head. They look like the black version of echinacea. This is one of those plants that you need to keep an eye on. When they are ready, they will really fall out and the plant re-seeds around its base. Mine are still blooming although summer sun doubles are looking ready to turn.

o

Thanks for the replies. That seed site from the UK is really wonderful! I also appreciate your description Karen. I think some of my Heliopsis are ready to harvest. They have self-sown the last couple of years so I want to take advantage of getting some seeds. I might have waited too long on the Geum, but I have harvested tons of Tanacetum Niveum. It was pretty easy once the seeds were ripe. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here