Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Poppy Seed

Posted by gayes z6 ETN (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 7, 06 at 21:31

What is the best way to save my papaver poppy seeds? As they have gone by, I was thinking about pulling the whole plants up & putting them somewhere to dry possibly the garage. I have plants waiting to put into the spots my sad poppy plants are occupying. I guess my question is, will the pods ripen if I pull the plants up & dry them much like one would dry herbs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Poppy Seed

I wouldn't. I let the pods dry and then remove the plant.

o

I also wonder about saving the seeds. I had some come up volunteer this year and I looked into the pod yesterday of one that is blooming. are the seeds inside the center pod or are they the things that are on the end of the hair looking things?

o

• Posted by gayes z6 ETN (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 12, 06 at 21:21

The seeds are inside the round pod. As they ripen holes will appear in the pod & hundreds of seeds will pour out of the pod when turned upside down. I save my seeds & sprinkle them when snow is on the ground & I can see where they fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here