Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asking if you could collect seeds from a neighbor

Posted by benjoe 6a/MD (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 22, 09 at 21:54

What would be an appropriate way to approach a neighbor and ask them if you could collect seeds from there trees/bushes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asking if you could collect seeds from a neighbor

LOL, I laugh cause I plan to do this when my neighbors seeds are ready. She has blue wild indigo and I so love that plant in or out of bloom. Also she has so many different daylillies if I figured they would be true I would hit her for those also.

I started my process last week on the edge of asking. I got a wonderful set of seeds in a sase and I took her some of the seeds of this flower she was tickled pink. I was just tickled I had something she didnt have already, her gardens are wonderful she is my inspiration.

I will catch her outside one day and I will say Mrs. Peggy (thats her first name) I absolutely loveeeee your blue wild indigo,(knowing her she probaly dont even know the name of it) would there be a chance that I could take some of the seeds so I may take a shot in growing my own. Knowing this little angel she will say well sure hun, but if you come back in spring I will just get you a clump. I love this woman I swear!! I will still get a few seeds and I always tell her I am coming back in spring but I never do. Its a shame all neighbors arent as great as Mrs. Peggy!!

P.S The malva zebrina, Poppy Papaver laciniata, and the Pink hollyhock I have were started from seed from Mrs. Peggy's garden I think 2 or 3 years back.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 13:26

Benjoe,
Just be polite. Like Carolyn said above, tell them how much you admire the plant, and ask if you could get some seed. Most gardeners are happy to share. They will either offer you some of the seed or some of the plant if they have enough. I'm always happy to give starts of plants away. I've never been asked for seed, but I of course I would give some.
Remy

o

• Posted by ppod 6 SE NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 22:25

I was looking for pics of blue wild indigo and found this site, which you too probably would enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecticut Botanical Society

o

Blue wild indigo, Baptisia australis is an awesome plant isnt it. The foliage is even nice I cant even explain it to do it justice and the pictures surely dont do it justice. Heres another link that I found that shows just a little more of the plant and the pods. Just remember this picture still does not do it justice in the least.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Wild Indigo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here