Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna Lily Seeds

Posted by wanna_run_faster 10 SoFLA /9 orl (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 05 at 21:57

Hello.

Does anyone know anything about canna lily seeds? I just purchased a dwarf unnamed incredibly beautiful pink one at walmart and would love to know how to collect the seeds or expect seed pods so that I could maybe trade for other colors

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna Lily Seeds

When I had them in Michigan you need to dig them up every fall and you will have alot tubers to plant next spring.
About seed I'm in the dark about that.
Hope this will help. They multiply like rabbits !

o

• Posted by Nurmey 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 27, 05 at 0:33

Many cannas do not produce viable seeds. After the flowers fade, a pod will develop with 1 to several black, hard seeds the size of a pea in it. Let the pods turn brown and start to crack before you harvest the seeds.

If yours is a hybrid (and it probably is) it may or may not produce seeds at all and if it does, they will not come true. Still it is fun to grow them from seed so I don't want to discourage you. Good luck!

o

I grow my canna from tuber, but have collected the seed this year. A friend has successfully grown the plants from seed and told me how. Here is a website with basically what he told me. There is a Yahoo group about growing canna that has useful information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing canna from seed

o

Wow, you all are the greatest! Thanks for the info!

o

If you do get seeds, you will want to nick them (believe me, this is easiest done with a pair of pliers to hold the seed firmly and a dremel to nick the hard shell) and then soak them in water until you see a white nub coming out of the area that was nicked. This usually takes about 3-7 days. Then plant them in a potting medium or seed starter and keep moist. All of mine bloom the first year!! I got some very interesting surprises, too, due to cross-pollination! I have one that is white with red splashes on it!!! It's very neat. So if you do get some seeds, don't hesitate to plant them to see what you get!

o

I just bought some "canna lily seeds" from Parks Seed Company, so apparently, there are canna lily seeds, and no they are not rhizomes or tubers, they are seeds. Now, any suggestions as to how I should plant them when they get here? I live in NW Florida.

o

How long can you keep the seeds before you plant them?

o

I keep the seed from the time I harvest them in the fall until I plant them in early spring. The main thing in storing these seeds....make sure they are kept in a cool place until you plant them. i found that heat can hurt the seeds so I try to keep them around 35-45 in a spare refrigerator in the basment. Also, the idea of cutting through the outer shell is great advice. I do so by using a fine tooth hacksaw blade. Then soak for a few days then plant them keeping the dirt moist.....not soaking wet

o

I keep the seed from the time I harvest them in the fall until I plant them in early spring. The main thing in storing these seeds....make sure they are kept in a cool place until you plant them. i found that heat can hurt the seeds so I try to keep them around 35-45 in a spare refrigerator in the basment. Also, the idea of cutting through the outer shell is great advice. I do so by using a fine tooth hacksaw blade. Then soak for a few days then plant them keeping the dirt moist.....not soaking wet. I have planted over 500 seeds over the past 3 seeds and have had 99% success rate in getting them to bloom the first year

o

I have been growing Canna Lilies from seed for several years. I find this easier than having to lift and store the tubers. As described above, I let the flowers set seed and watch them as they ripen. Then I winter sow them, no nicking, no soaking in about February and they always germinate. I just grow the plain red ones for humming birds, so I don't know about hybrids. I have planted some hybrid seeds from overseas, they grew but never flowered. I am in the north and our winters give the seeds the required treatment for them to sprout, but I don't know about sowing them in the more southern zones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here