Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf candytuft seeds

Posted by pippi21 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 22:42

This is my first year growing dwarf fairy candytuft(mixed colors) and the last few days, all the color has disappeared and what was once blooms have turned green. Are there seeds in there and how do I extract them. It looks like I'd have to let it dry first. These seeds came from Ferry-Morse and they were absolutely beautiful and if I can find some more, I will buy many packs of them for 2011. It was my favorite flower that I wintersowed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf candytuft seeds

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 21:40

If there are seeds developing, you have to let them ripen on the plant. What you see that is green must turn brown. The page below has some nice pics.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Candytuft page on The Seed Site

o

I didn't know about that site; that was a big help and I have bookmarked it. Did I read that the dwarf candytuft only has 2 seeds per pod? Shoot just for 2 seeds, I'm not going to all that trouble. Eventually will the seeds drop out of the seed pod and reproduce on it's own? I found some of those same seeds at Crosman's and am mailing my order along with other seed request off today. They have 1950 prices for their seed pkts. and all germinated from them for me last year and customer service is great.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 17, 10 at 8:51

Pippi,
There are 2 seeds per pod, but if you look at the pic, there are multiple pods where each flower head was. So a few flowers will give you quite a bit of seeds.
Crosman's is a great place. I visit their booth at the Rochester(their hometown) Garden Show every year.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here