Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_inmo

Need assistance collecting Melampodium seeds

ellen_inmo
18 years ago

I must be the biggest idiot when it comes to collecting seed. I have great luck growing any seed, but cannot seem to "get it" when it comes to collecting them.

I have all three varieties of Melampodium, and at the cost of this seed,I intended ot collect as much seed as possible. However, it seems that I am waiting too long after the flower has spent. I cut off the flowers that have turned completely brown, with brownage going down the flower stems. I have been doing this for about two weeks. Today, I checked my progress, and have found very few seeds. The flowers that had no petals left on the flower head have no seeds at all. These are the ones that I thought would be the best! I have other flower cuttings that still had a few petals left, centers of the flowers turning brown, but the stem is still very much green, and the seeds just popped out at me, perfectly brown. However, there are other flowers that look like this, but the seeds are still green.

Is there some exception with Melampodium, I mean, as far as not waiting until the flower head turns completely brown?

I will post a picture here tomorrow of various flowers to see if someone can tell me just from looking.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (3)

• trudyjean82
    18 years ago

You are waiting to long to collect your seeds. The stems will still be green, and the center will be brown, but they will be laying in the cup looking part of the stem. Where the petals have fallen off. Hope that makes sense. Some will still have petals attached. Theres not that much of a wait after flowering before the seeds have turned brown. trudyjean

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

trudyjean, thanks so much for your reply! I was just outside observing my Melampodiums by the porch light, inspecting for seed. Okay, here is what I have come up with:

I have the three varieties: 'Showstar', 'Million Gold' and 'Lemon Delight'. Of the three, 'Million Gold'is almost impossible to get seed from. 'Lemon Delight' is also difficult. However, 'Showstar'is incredibly EASY. The flowerheads just fall right off at the lightest touch, exposing the seeds. They just fall everywhere, perfectly brown. However, of the three, I have decided not to grow 'Showstar' anymore in the future, because it grows about 2 or 3 inches taller than Million Gold, yet looks identical to it when they are still young, and I dont want to get them mixed up. Now, it just figures that 'Showstar' would be the easiest to get seed!

Okay, now pardon my ignorance when it comes to this sort of thing (for as many years as I have studied this stuff I should be an expert by now), but for some reason, could 'Million Gold' just be a variety that doesnt produce seed? I mean, there are seeds, but they are always green, with maybe one brown seed. I will watch and watch the same flowers, but the seeds never turn color, and then the flower just shrivels up, drops its petals, and there are no seeds at all. Grrr.....

I just cant help but think that there is some significant reason for the difference between the two plants.

Maybe someone knows????

• trudyjean82
    18 years ago

I've had my melampodium for so long I don't rightly remember which one I havee, I think its Derby. I don't have any trouble collecting seeds from them. I suppose its possible that some other varieties are either impossible to find/collect seeds from or just don't produce them. Sorry I'm not much help on your others. trudyjean

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions