Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sunflower seeds

Posted by Hollywog z6soIL (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 0:37

While I was checking out my flowers today, I noticed some small sunflower seeds on the leaves of one of my malva zebrina plants. They had obviously fallen from one of the sunflowers high above them, but I can't seem to figure out which sunflower they came from so that I can collect more. None of them look completely dried out, and none of them seemed to be missing seeds. Is it possible for the seeds of the same bloom to be maturing at different rates? I just can't understand where they fell from. It doesn't help that the blooms are way over my head and difficult to inspect. Can anyone tell me what to look for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sunflower seeds

I wouldn't worry too much about collecting the seeds as they fall, you will have plenty left in the fall! I just save the entire head, in a brown bag. But be sure and keep it stored in a dry location, so they don't get moldy over the winter. I have also just scattered seeds in the fall, and they sprout like weeds in the spring, and they transplant very easily.

o
RE: sunflower seeds

I've got a feeling a bird dropped a couple seeds for you. But I've never collected sunflower seeds. Last year left them for the birds, and apparently they left me plenty, cause this spring had many re-seeded sprouts that I hadn't expected, but didn't mind having at all! Now 2 beautiful blooms and lots more about to open.

Have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here