Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
French hollyhocks

Posted by AileenEdword none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 0:37

I decided to try starting my own seeds. I do this every couple of years, and then wish I hadn�t because it�s alot of work and I never get great results
Of the all seeds, I have one successful plant. It is a French Hollyhock and I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has had success with this plant. I know that it takes two years before it will bloom, and I am wondering if mine has a chance for survival. It sort of limped along all summer, but has really taken off in the cooler fall months. It�s now about 24 inches high. Can anyone tell me in what kinds of conditions they have had luck with this plant. Does it bloom in the cooler spring months?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: French hollyhocks

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 16:47

French Hollyhocks(Malva sylvestris) grow best in full sun. They bloom all summer here and into fall. So they bloom while it is fairly warm. Maybe in really hot areas the bloom time is different. I'm not sure where you heard they take 2 years to bloom. They can bloom the first year if they get growing soon enough, and if they don't, they will bloom the following season.
Remy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here