Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to overcome plant sterility

Posted by kdog2568 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 6:56

Hi guys,
Here recently I have grown a number of hybrid petunias as well as calibrachoas and wish to get seeds from them. I realize that many of these, the calibrachoa especially, do not make seed and if they do then they are not true to the parent plant.

Despite this I still want their seed because I would just like to see some of the traits the seedlings possess. The problem is, I have not been able to get a single seed pod from any of these plants! I understand that most of these are propagated vegetatively but there has to be a way for them to make seeds otherwise there would be no way to get these unique characteristics in the first place.

So I guess my question boils down to how in the world do I get these guys to give me some seeds????!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to overcome plant sterility

I'm not sure why you're surprised that supposedly sterile plants aren't setting seed pods. They aren't setting pods because they are sterile (that's if they are; I've no idea). There's nothing you can do about that.

"But there has to be a way for them to make seeds otherwise there would be no way to get these unique characteristics in the first place."

This is where you are confused. The companies that produce the seed do not plant seeds saved from the hybrids. Hybrids are the result of very controlled cross pollinating. They take certain plants with specific traits, cross them, and the result is the hybrid. The seed company needs to constantly cross new plants to get fresh seed.

Rodney

o
RE: How to overcome plant sterility

Thanks Rodney I believe I see what you're saying. Just to be clear, the plants that I have are sterile hybrids that have been produced. So I would have to go further back to the parents that were capable of producing the seeds that created the hybrid ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here