Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fermenting.....?

Posted by muddypaws4ever 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 7:47

Hi all. I have read a lot about saving vege seeds and here's my confusion. After all I've read, I'm guessing that there's two ways to save seeds like peppers and tomats eggplant etc. Leave them on the vine/plant until they're overripe and the seeds dry inside.... or pick them at their peak (or fresh), and put the pulp with seeds in it into water and let them "ferment" which would mimic what they'd do if you left them on the plant longer. Sounds simplistic but did I get that right? It's okay to do it both ways?
Would appreciate responses!
muddypaws

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fermenting.....?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 23:16

Hi Muddypaws,
Plain old drying or fermenting depends on the plant.
Most seed is allowed to dry on the plant. Some seeds are in a gel that does not easily come off and fermentation removes the gel and also removes pathogens too.
So tomatoes seeds are fermented since they are in gel. You can smear the gel and seeds onto like a paper plate to dry and they will sprout late just fine. There is a few disadvantages to it. The gel keeps the tomato seed from drying as fast, the seeds are clumped together so separating them is a pain, and of course disease pathogens that might be tagging along with the seeds are not destroyed.
To fement, only a tad bit of water is added if needed, but normally the juice of the fruit is sufficient. Too much water actually hampers the fermentation.
Another seed that gets fermented is cucumber seed.
Pepper are not in gel so they would be removed from ripe fruit and left to dry on paper towels or plates.
Eggplants are also dry so they are not fermented. JUst an FYI about eggplant seed saving. Eggplants must be way over ripe to what we consider edible for the seed to be mature enough to harvest.
Hope that helps some,
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here