Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 seed saving questions

Posted by floral_grow 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 7:49

Hi,

I have a campanula punctata (sp), and a Salvia fluviatilis. I would like to know if I can save seeds from these plants, and if so where do I find them.
Thanks,
Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 seed saving questions

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 8:37

Hi Barb,
Campanula punctata definitely can have seeds saved from it. Once the flowers die off. A pod will develop. Once the pod starts to turn light brown, little holes will appears. Pick them then. Small brown disk type seeds will be inside.
Salvias vary in how much seed they make. They all make seed in the same way. The flower falls off and the calyx is left. It becomes like a little seeds cup. At the base of it, seeds will develop. Some varieties make no seeds or one seed per flower; some make 2 or 3 seeds per flower. Seed is normally ripe when the calyx starts to brown/gray. You will seed small dark round to oval(depends on type) ball type seeds.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here