Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help-Hardy Hibiscus seed saving

Posted by merianna 7/8 Tx (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 08 at 9:27

After the flower forms and blooms it falls off, along with the seed pod. The pod gets wet and rots on the ground. Is it normal for them to fall off? Am I supposed to pick them up and dry them to get seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help-Hardy Hibiscus seed saving

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 08 at 9:55

Hi Merianna,
If the pod area falls off immediately, the flowers are not getting pollinated. Sometimes this happens with the early blooms,(sometimes plants do this during really hot weather but I can't imagine hibiscus being one of them,) and then the rest form seeds. If you have a lot of flowers though and none seem to be developing seed, you can hand pollinate. A small paint brush works great, just go around quickly brushing all flower centers(staminal columns) and you'll get seed development.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: hibiscus anatomy pics

o
RE: Help-Hardy Hibiscus seed saving

Thank you, Remy. I will try that. I don't think its a water issue even though Texas is crazy hot right now. I have a sprinkler system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here