Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hybridizing cannas

Posted by poisondartfrog KY (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 9:31

Anyone working on hybridizing cannas? I have done some work with daylilies and tomatoes, but that's it.
I have found cannas to be easy to grow from seed, but I would really like to effect some controlled crosses. I would appreciate any insight anyone can provide.
Thanks! Alana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hybridizing cannas

I have harvested some Canna seeds, but can't seem to get them to germinate. But then again, maybe I didn't wait long enough. How long is the germination time?
(I don't know anything about hybridizing, so I can't
help you there). Thank You.

o

Did you wait until the seeds were mature enough to harvest? They should have developed a blackish hardened exterior.
To get early blooms I start my canna seedlings in late February indoors or in the greenhouse. I have used an emery board to rough up the hard seed coat in the past, but this year I knicked them with a knife, which I believe worked better.
After I knick the seeds, I soak them in warm water for several hours or overnight and plant them about 1/2 inch deep in jiffy mix or a lightweight potting mix keeping the planting medium from drying out. I use bottom heat. They usually germinate in a week to 10 days.

o

I did let them mature, as they were quite black and
very hard and about the size of a large pea. I also
put them in a grow mix in early March of last year.
I didn't know anything about knicking the seeds but
left them in the grow mix for a couple of months and
then gave up on them. I'll try again next spring
and do as you suggest. Thank you.

o

Hi,
Were would you find the seeds on this plant?
Thanks,
Kim

o

Sorry for the slow response. I had not checked back lately. Here is a photo of a canna seed pod in my garden. It is the green "knobby" pod that appears where a floret was attached. The seed pod will turn brown when it is ready to harvest and the seeds inside will be black, or near black. Some cannas do not set seed, but this one, Peach Frost, does.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here