Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgm_03

Knautia

proudgm_03
14 years ago

What do the seeds look like and where are they located? I checked for old threads here, the Seed Site, and the plate index and couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi ProudGM!
    They are tan to light gray colored little ovals not unlike plump rice really. The good ones are hard. It is hard at first to tell when they are ready for picking. Often times, they will start to blow away from the flower base when ripe. Finches eating is also a good sign. After awhile, you'll get good at knowing what ones are ready to pick.
    Remy

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I picked a head off of my knautia macedonia and I have things that look like extremely tiny gaillardia seeds. They were attached to a fuzzy head similar to the way gaillardia seeds are. Are there different kinds?

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

The very tiny gallardia looking things are the chaff tops of the seed. Look at a seed head without dismantling it. You will see the extremely tiny gaillardia things those are attached to the seed which looks like rice or orzo past sort of or even small pieces of stick really. That part is the seed. Hard ones are good. I hope that makes sense. If not, I'll take a pic as soon as I can.
    Remy

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Remy, a pic would be helpful if you get a chance. I'm still having trouble but no hurry. Most of them aren't ready to harvest yet. I was inspecting a couple that were ready.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Does Knautia go by the name of Scabiosa also maybe?

If so, check out the link below and scroll down to Scabiosa.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Salpiglossis to Schizostylis at the UK Seed Site

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

ProudGM,
    Here's the pic for you : )
    As I was preparing the seeds for the photo, I realized I forgot to tell you that sometimes you can get heads and all the seeds are no good. They will be soft and bendy. Most heads are a mix of good and bad.

Sue,
    They are very similar looking flowers, but they are separate species and the seed is different.
    Remy

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Remy, your seed pics are so great. What kind of camera do you use? I wish I could take pics of what I have to show you but my camera is not near that good.

Are the seeds smooth? They look like it in the picture. Also, the seed heads look a little green still. Are they?

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks! I use an Olympus SP-320 that I got as Christmas gift a couple years ago. I do love it. It has lots of very good settings like "Landscape and Close Up", "Museum", "Night Scene", etc. so it makes it very dummy proof! I only wish the batteries last longer, but my hubby got one of those battery chargers and lots of rechargeable batteries so I'm ok with it.

The seeds are smooth and almost feel like little hard smooth pieces of round wood twigs. Yes, the base is still green which is contrary to most ripe seed heads.
    Remy

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Are the seeds about the size of say bachelor buttons, maybe a little smaller?