Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painted tongue (Salpiglossis) seed saving

Posted by PurpleRainbow z8 NW WA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 05 at 10:24

I just got these beautiful plants and put them out in the garden. I want to try saving seed. Does anyone know if the seeds will be true to the plant they came from? And how do I go about doing it?

:o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painted tongue (Salpiglossis) seed saving

I saved some last year and they came true-they're beautiful! They form a sizeable pod, similar to a Nicotania but even bigger. Wait for it to dry and open to harvest them, there are MANY small seeds per pod. I started them this year around Feb 1st, didn't get my first blooms until late May/early June?

o

Oh, thank you! They are so beautiful and I want lots, so even though the plants in bloom were spendy I got 2 of different colors hoping that they would come true. You just made my day! Now I hope I can harvest and save the seeds since I've never done it before.

o

I found seeds available from Stokes - I'm planning to buy one so I can expand the colors I have next year.

o

I could easily do way too many of these painted tongues for my small garden, all those colors. Enjoy your expanded collection!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here