Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindarenee_gw

Suggestions needed for annual-perennial seeds!

lindarenee
15 years ago

I work with a group of handicapped individuals and would like to start a small "seed business" to promote self-esteem, help with skills, have fun and generate some money for a field trip or craft supplies. We would sell the seeds in house to parents, relatives and staff and perhaps someday to the community.

I need seeds from the almost "fail proof" catagory that don't need to go through any process but harvesting and making sure they are dry. We are in zone 5a.

I have the simple old fashioned blue columbines in my flower beds that dependably reproduce on their own. I thought I could use them. I'm going to ask staff members what they might have in their gardens to donate. (Maybe I'll ask in the seed exchange forum for donations? hmmmm.)

Hollyhocks? I've got some of the old basic type.

I've got yellow flags around my pond that I started from a clump I dug out along a ditch somewhere. They must reproduce by seed because they really spread. Would these be good for small water gardens?

What about wild daylilies?

Regarding zinnias and marigolds... what kind will produce seed true to their type?

What about milkweed seed for butterfly gardens? There"s plenty of that in the country where I live.

Thank you so much! I look forward to reading your suggestions. And now I think I'll go to the seed exchange and see if anyone would have donations!

Linda Renee

If this flies I will ask for a spot of ground at the job to start a garden for the purpose of seed harvest.

Comments (2)

• lgslgs
    15 years ago

Four O'clocks might be good. Just make sure you don't plant them too early and get them frost nipped.

The scent is wonderful, and the seeds are easy to see and harvest. No cleaning needed. It's easy to teach someone how to recognize when they are fully ripe (all black, no green) and if people have any motor skills impairment they can be harvested by gently tapping the plant while holding a box beneath the flowers.

With the scent and the abundance of flowers - in bright cheerful colors, they should bring a lot of enjoyment as well an abundance of seed.

Lynda

• lindarenee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Lynda. I've forgotten all about four o'clocks.
    My mother raised them when I was a girl!

Blessings,
    Linda Renee

Sponsored
More Discussions