Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
saving butterfly weed seed

Posted by Hollywog z6soIL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 15:18

Hi all! I have had great luck so far my first year collecting seed from my flowers (and I was sooo worried I wouldn't be able to find the seed pods!). I also found a great seed saving site to help. But I don't seem to be able to find butterfly weed on it. We have tons of bright orange butterfly weed growing wild along our roadways, but I have been told it has a long taproot and doesn't transplant well (not to mention it is against the law to move it)and so I would like to collect some seed. Where does it form, and how do I collect it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: saving butterfly weed seed

They will form long thin pods; very similiar to regular milkweed, but much thinner.

In the link below, they are in the second picture in the row of four.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asclepias tuberosa

o

Once the pods splits, the seeds will be ready to harvest. You'll have to keep checking them. I've found Asclepias tuberosa to be the easiest to harvest. The other varieties of Asclepias split and start falling and flying very quickly, while the tuberosa I can usually get a day or two later, still intact (but split). If you don't manage to harvest any, I could give you plenty! They're also a good candidate for Winter Sowing; the varieties I've winter sown had very high germination (A. incarnata, syriaca, tuberosa, curassavica).

o

Important to store them in frig or use fresh.

o

Hollywog, what is the seed website you're referring to, I'd love to check it out? Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here