Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisolddad

Problems with seed saving on hard squash

ThisOldDad
9 years ago

Last year was my first garden in quite some time as my previous residences were too shady. The new house has a mostly open one acre lot, so we put in a small garden last year and doubled it this year to about 30 x 80 ft. I grew both butternut squash with seed saved from a store bought squash and also some Potimarron (Red Kuri) squash seed brought over from France by my mother-n-law (ok, probably not legal). Anyhow, both squash did very well last year and I saved seeds from good examples of both types to plant this year. It looks like I have some hybrid "Franken-Squash". Since the bug level was getting critical and some of the vines were dying, I harvested most of the squash this weekend. I haven't tried any of the Franken-Squash, but will update after I do. I guess it is just not practical to seed save when growing several varieties of squash in a small area. This year, I had spaghetti, butternut, acorn and potimarron as well as summer squash, so no telling what the seeds would do next year. The hybrids of the squash are on the bottom right of the photo.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions