Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with seed saving on hard squash

Posted by ThisOldDad none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 16:23

Last year was my first garden in quite some time as my previous residences were too shady. The new house has a mostly open one acre lot, so we put in a small garden last year and doubled it this year to about 30 x 80 ft. I grew both butternut squash with seed saved from a store bought squash and also some Potimarron (Red Kuri) squash seed brought over from France by my mother-n-law (ok, probably not legal). Anyhow, both squash did very well last year and I saved seeds from good examples of both types to plant this year. It looks like I have some hybrid "Franken-Squash". Since the bug level was getting critical and some of the vines were dying, I harvested most of the squash this weekend. I haven't tried any of the Franken-Squash, but will update after I do. I guess it is just not practical to seed save when growing several varieties of squash in a small area. This year, I had spaghetti, butternut, acorn and potimarron as well as summer squash, so no telling what the seeds would do next year. The hybrids of the squash are on the bottom right of the photo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with seed saving on hard squash

Butternut types and Maxima types, which red kuri are, cannot cross with each other or with acorn types. However, squash cross in their species readily in a half mile. You must have bees to pollinate squash and the bees don't just keep to one variety or just to your garden! So unless you hand pollinate, you will have crossing within the species in saved seed.

o
RE: Problems with seed saving on hard squash

The only experience with squash seeds that had a problem were with my summer squash. Even with 7 children I ended up with too many even to give away so I just threw a few into my garden and tilled them under. The next spring a few came up but they looked more like banana squash with, for me, a strange taste but my children loved them anyway. They got to be over a foot long and still make good fried squash, one my children's favorite food

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here