Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clyde01_gw

columbine seed planting

clyde01
18 years ago

Yesterday I collected a large number of columbine seeds from plants with mature pods. Can these seeds be immediately replanted and if so, is there time enough left during this season for them to sprout this year. We live at 7600 ft. elevation with about six weeks of summer left.

Comments (7)

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

I can't answer your question regarding your specific environment, but here in good old Columbus, Ohio, I just scatter and forget. I know that a lot of people winter sow them, so perhaps you might want to check out the Winter Sowing Forum for more info. Seems there were some elevated gardeners there.

Good luck.

• magus
    18 years ago

Columbines self-seed all the time, so sow away! Fresh columbine seeds need a cold period to germinate, though, so they won't germinate this year, for the most part. Older seeds seem to be able to germinate without a cold period, though, so a few could germinate this year. I find they are quite slow germinators, and require about a month of warm (after the cold period) before they germinate.

• Hollywog
    18 years ago

will something eat them before they have a chance to germinate? i stuck some about 1/4 inch down in the ground a few weeks ago along with some Japanese toad lily seeds. Will they last until they can be overwintered, or will they rot?

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

Surface sow them...on top of the ground. Winter weather will put them at the right depth for germination.

• elvis
    18 years ago

I agree with Susan--I direct surface sow in spring as soon as the snow melts off the bed, or in fall before snow. The only problem with the fall sowing is that if you need to rake out the bed come spring, you'll lose some seeds.

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

I guess the partial answer to that is sow a ton. Luckily the plant produces a ton. If I had a limited amount of seed from a trade or something, I would winter sow. (in containers pursuant to forum instructions).

I have read where folks sow on top of the snow and let ma nature "plant" when the snow melts. I guess you would run into potential critter problems and spring raking problems there as well, but it's interesting nonetheless.

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

Ok so I think I am going to put the seeds in the freezer for a week and sow soon. Would that be a bad idea? They are burpee seeds and I'm having luck with everything else I've sowed from Burpee this spring. What do y'all think?