Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oregon_veg

Saving Columbine seeds

oregon_veg
15 years ago

I have a weird question.

We have Columbine growing outside our store.

Many tourists have commented on them.

One lady wants some of the seeds and I plan on saving some also. The problem is, in the past, people walking by have always harvested the seeds without asking. Pulling them right out and scooting with them.

This year is different doggone it. They are mine.

Now my question: Right now they are blooming. Must I wait for them to dry by themselves? Can I bring the flowers inside and let them dry or must they completely form the bulb first?

I don't know of any other options. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• noinwi
    15 years ago

The flowers have to mature on the plant to form the seed pods. Could you put out a sign asking passersby not to take the seed pods? After all, they ARE stealing(but it is hard not to snatch seed sometimes). Maybe a sign with the name of the variety so people will know what to look for when they BUY their seeds? I think the only other option is to transplant some of them to a container that you can take home and let them go to seed away from public view. That way you'll get your share :D

• oregon_veg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replay.
    The sign bit won't do any good. We try to keep them from putting cigarette buts and garbage in the flower beds, but that doesn't work. They can't seem to read. I thought about transplanting them to a pot, but being full grown I wasn't sure they would take it too well. They are very unique and everyone steals the seeds. I may just try potting them and see how they go.

• ollierose
    15 years ago

I would try potting one first. Better to test one than to risk losing them both.

If it were me.....I'd make it very hard for them to get to them. Place some bird safe nets around them and then place a sign on top of them. I know it won't look that great, but maybe you could get them to stop helping themselves and eventually remove the nets while leaving the sign. Just what I would do.

You could also place a piece of panty hose around some of the pods to capture the seeds. You could even place something around it saying "seed collection in progress, please do not disturb." You might at least get enough for yourself and the one person that's been nice enough to ask for them first.

Good luck!
    Diana

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

Good idea.

How about a photo? I would love to see some beautiful columbines!

• sassyalice
    15 years ago

I wouldn't stress out too much about others grabbing seed fron this plant as it will provide hundreds (many hundreds) one dried flower head will give you 20 to 50 seeds. I collect from mine every year to give as gifts. so as long as you are quick enough to get one seed pod you will have more than enough for your own wants. Good Luck

• amy1224
    13 years ago

How long can you save Columbine seeds? Must they be used that year or the next? I ordered some this spring but it has been too hot to plant them, so I am considering saving them until next spring.

Thanks!

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Amy,
    Columbine seeds don't have a real long shelf life, but they will stay good for a couple years. Don't wait for spring to plant them though, plant them this fall/winter. They need a cold period to germinate.
    Remy

Sponsored
More Discussions