Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nettasaura

What info to send with seeds that are traded?

nettasaura
17 years ago

I am new to seed saving and trading as of this year. What kind of information are you supposed to send with the seeds. What is proper ettiquette when trading? etc.

Nettasaura

Comments (6)

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

For seed info, besides the variety name, I would include the original source of the seed, and the year purchased (if new) or grown (if saved). If the plant is an heirloom, include as much info about its origin & history as you know.

You should be taking steps during the year to keep your seed pure. Normally, if you are growing only one variety of an "inbreeding" species (self-pollinating, such as bean, pea, tomato) your seed will be pure. If you grow more than one variety, put as much space between them as possible. Do not save seed from diseased plants.

"Outbreeding" plants (such as all squashes, corn, onions, carrots, and most flowers) are pollinated by the wind or insects, and require special procedures to ensure seed purity. If you desire more info on this, I heartily recommend the book "Seed To Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth.

Be sure that seed is fully clean, dry, and insect-free before mailing. If your home is air conditioned or dehumidified, drying seed in an open container (preferably in a single layer) for several weeks should be adequate. Plants should be shipped bare-root if at all possible, or in clean potting soil. There are many more issues with live plants, which should be addressed in a separate topic.

Postal mail machinery will crush even small, hard seeds... so use some type of protection. Bubble mailers are preferred, especially for larger seeds like beans, squash, and corn; but a plain envelope with a layer of bubble wrap or packing material around the seeds will work for smaller seeds. Plants & tubers will need rigid packaging, with plenty of packing to prevent damage.

If your seed supply (or root, or plant) is limited, be sure to discuss quantities with the the person you are exchanging with prior to mailing.

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Z!

• littleonefb
    17 years ago

If collecting seeds from your own yard, I would suggest you make sure that all traders know that your seeds are "open pollinated". That way it is known that there is a chance that they won't bloom true to the parent plant. I haven't had that happen, but it is possible.
    Try and include info such as annual, perennial, biennial and if it needs full sun, part sun or shade.
    I list my trade list of seeds under categories of my seeds,
    seeds from other traders, commercial packet, left over from what ever year they are from. with that info the trader will know if the seeds are from another trade you can't be sure they are labeled correctly.
    I include germination info for seeds that I know need light to germinate, dark to germinate, just press into the soil, if I know that info.
    I don't get to fancy, but provide basic info and hope I get the same with the trades I receive.

• drippy
    17 years ago

I'm lazier - I do state on my trade page that my seeds are open-pollinated, and if I am sending commercial seeds not in the original pack, I include the company name & year of seeds.

The ones I trade from my garden go in coin envelopes with botanical name (if I know it), common name, Annual/Perennial/Biennial designation, and year of harvest. I trust the tradee to be able to look up germination info and growing requirements.

• bakemom_gw
    17 years ago

Rather than write all that stuff on an envelope, I simply identify the seed. THEN, I email the trader my seed list that lists all my seeds, all the requirements for the plants, and where the seeds came from. They can have something to save to their garden file, or print out for reference. That way, when the germinate in the spring, the trader has some reference material to refresh his or her memory of what they traded for the season before. AND, I'm not sitting there writing all this on each and every envelope.

I can send you a copy if you wish for ideas.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

I'm with you, Bakemom, about not writing on envelopes. Instead, I use mailing labels. If you use small coin envelopes, Avery 8163 labels fit them perfectly. I keep a file for each variety with all the info I wish to share, and print a page of labels that I keep with the seeds.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm
More Discussions