Mon, Jul 14, 08 at 18:25

Where is it and what does it look like?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: african daisy seed

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 11:27

Hi ProudGM,
What type of African Daisy do you have? Different types have different kinds of seeds. Here's 3 types, and there are a few more I have not photographed. Some Osteopermums look different, and Dimorphotheca has another type of seed too.
Assorted Types of African Daisy Seeds
If you don't have a latin name, a picture of the blooms will help.
Remy

o

I believe that it must be osteopernum because I just looked in the cup that I put the dried heads in and I see seeds that look like that. Thanks! Are first year seeds viable?

o

Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 21:19

I'm glad one of the seeds matched, makes things easier : )
If the seed ripened on the plant, it should be viable.
Remy

o

I just harvested seeds from my African Moon daisy and they are fluffy. Are either the arctotis or dimorphotheca seeds fluffy?

o

Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 8:30

Hi ProudGM,
Are they fuzzy like the seeds I have labeled as Arctotis in the pic?
Remy

o

Yes, I couldn't tell if those were fuzzy or like the shuttlecock seeds that are hard.

o

Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 16:47

The fuzzy things will definitely germinate. I'm not sure about the shuttlecocks. They could possibly though. In the pic, the one labeled Dimorphotheca also makes another kind of seed. Dimorphotheca pretty much means two types of seed which is odd! I didn't know plants did that until learning about various African daisies.
Remy

o
RE: Help me save my African Daisy (and Columbine)

Ok please forgive me for posting to this forum but I am a complete newbie to this site. So I bought an African Daisy and a Columbine from Home Depot because they were just too nice to resist. I had them on my front patio and they bloomed great. I left them in their original pots and had them sitting in clear plastic drain trays with water mixed in with Miracle Gro bloom booster. Whenever the water in the drain trays would dry out, I would simply add more. In any event, the front patio get s a lot of sun and both plants started to wilt. 2 days ago it was 97 degrees and the plants have REALLY wilted. so I moved them to the backyard where there is more shade. They still look a bit shabby and have wilted a bit more so I added them to a long rectangular pot that is well drained. HELP! How can I keept these plants alove and bulk them up?

Thanks

o

Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 22:51

Hi Shaun,
It is hard to say for sure. Were the pots big pots or little ones? If they were in little pots, they should of been re-potted to larger ones. It does sound like you've been overwatering and over fertilizing. When you moved the plants was the soil damp or dry? Plants can wilt from no water or too much, and it is really hot now(97! where do you live?) and either way the plants could of revolted in the heat. Too much water all the time can cause root rot and it is hard for the plants to recover if too much root has died. If it was not enough water, the plants will rebound fairly quick. I would definitely go easier on the fertilizer too.
Columbines are for part shade. They only bloom once a year. They are perennials that should go in the ground.
African daisy can be a perennial(in warm climates) or annual depending on which type of African daisy it is. All kinds of Afican daisies though are for full sun and well drained soil and they will bloom for very long time.
Ok, I know you are new, but there are a few things you should know, I'm saying this to be helpful, not in a mean way. If you have a question not related to the original post, you should start a new thread, not post to the thread. Posting to a thread with an unrelated question is called hijacking. I answered your question because I was wondering why this old thread popped back up and decided to answer, but often times, no one will respond not realizing there is a new topic that needs answering, or sometimes people don't like to respond to hijackers. Also, in general you will get more responses quicker if you start your own thread. It is even better to post to the proper forum. I realize being new iot would be hard to guess which forum to do that in : ) Better forums to have posted to would of been either the Perennial or Annuals forum and of the two Perennials would of been better since it gets more traffic, but I know there's no way for you to know that, lol.
Good luck with your plants,
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here