african daisy seed

proudgm_03
15 years ago

Where is it and what does it look like?

Comments (15)

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi ProudGM,
    What type of African Daisy do you have? Different types have different kinds of seeds. Here's 3 types, and there are a few more I have not photographed. Some Osteopermums look different, and Dimorphotheca has another type of seed too.
    {{gwi:378295}}
    If you don't have a latin name, a picture of the blooms will help.
    Remy

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I believe that it must be osteopernum because I just looked in the cup that I put the dried heads in and I see seeds that look like that. Thanks! Are first year seeds viable?

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

I'm glad one of the seeds matched, makes things easier : )
    If the seed ripened on the plant, it should be viable.
    Remy

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just harvested seeds from my African Moon daisy and they are fluffy. Are either the arctotis or dimorphotheca seeds fluffy?

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi ProudGM,
    Are they fuzzy like the seeds I have labeled as Arctotis in the pic?
    Remy

• proudgm_03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I couldn't tell if those were fuzzy or like the shuttlecock seeds that are hard.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

The fuzzy things will definitely germinate. I'm not sure about the shuttlecocks. They could possibly though. In the pic, the one labeled Dimorphotheca also makes another kind of seed. Dimorphotheca pretty much means two types of seed which is odd! I didn't know plants did that until learning about various African daisies.
    Remy

• shaun_johnson2007_gmail_com
    14 years ago

Ok please forgive me for posting to this forum but I am a complete newbie to this site. So I bought an African Daisy and a Columbine from Home Depot because they were just too nice to resist. I had them on my front patio and they bloomed great. I left them in their original pots and had them sitting in clear plastic drain trays with water mixed in with Miracle Gro bloom booster. Whenever the water in the drain trays would dry out, I would simply add more. In any event, the front patio get s a lot of sun and both plants started to wilt. 2 days ago it was 97 degrees and the plants have REALLY wilted. so I moved them to the backyard where there is more shade. They still look a bit shabby and have wilted a bit more so I added them to a long rectangular pot that is well drained. HELP! How can I keept these plants alove and bulk them up?

Thanks

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Shaun,
    It is hard to say for sure. Were the pots big pots or little ones? If they were in little pots, they should of been re-potted to larger ones. It does sound like you've been overwatering and over fertilizing. When you moved the plants was the soil damp or dry? Plants can wilt from no water or too much, and it is really hot now(97! where do you live?) and either way the plants could of revolted in the heat. Too much water all the time can cause root rot and it is hard for the plants to recover if too much root has died. If it was not enough water, the plants will rebound fairly quick. I would definitely go easier on the fertilizer too.
    Columbines are for part shade. They only bloom once a year. They are perennials that should go in the ground.
    African daisy can be a perennial(in warm climates) or annual depending on which type of African daisy it is. All kinds of Afican daisies though are for full sun and well drained soil and they will bloom for very long time.
    Ok, I know you are new, but there are a few things you should know, I'm saying this to be helpful, not in a mean way. If you have a question not related to the original post, you should start a new thread, not post to the thread. Posting to a thread with an unrelated question is called hijacking. I answered your question because I was wondering why this old thread popped back up and decided to answer, but often times, no one will respond not realizing there is a new topic that needs answering, or sometimes people don't like to respond to hijackers. Also, in general you will get more responses quicker if you start your own thread. It is even better to post to the proper forum. I realize being new iot would be hard to guess which forum to do that in : ) Better forums to have posted to would of been either the Perennial or Annuals forum and of the two Perennials would of been better since it gets more traffic, but I know there's no way for you to know that, lol.
    Good luck with your plants,
    Remy

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, Remi -

I have the same question as the original poster. I purchased a plant marked African Daisy with two very large deep red color, velvety blooms. I believe the color of the center was a velvety yellow brown.

I've checked various sites online concerning harvesting seeds and have not been able to make sense out of any of it. Harvesting techniques online run the gamut. One site indicated looking for seed pods. Another speaks of collecting the dead heads off the plant and putting them in a baggie whole. Another suggests removing the dead flowers and tapping them on a hard surface until the seeds fall out, which never happened when I tried it. Still another recommends just pulling the fuzzy center off the dry flowers and allowing the content to dry on a paper towel.

I have applied the last technique but I don't see any seeds. Would you kindly take a look at this photo and tell me where the seeds are?

The average temperature here is 87 into the 90s with very, very high humidity. The original flowers lasted approximately three weeks but the plant has not flowered again...It doesn't show any buds but it's only been a week. I wonder whether this plant will survive my climate. Please advise.

- Maria Elena

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

That is a Gerbera. It hasn't got any seed yet because it is still in full bloom. And, unless it is pollinated, it won't make any. If you have several and they are outdoors you might get seed. If you only have one and it is inside the chances are slimmer but Gerbera is self fertile so you could get some. You could help it along by hand pollinating. Just Google pollinating Gerbera or something similar.

7 years ago

Thank you so much, floral_uk. I have several flowers ... They are outdoors. Will research pollinating Gerbera.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

If they are outdoors there are probably enough pollinators around to do the job for you.

7 years ago

Awesome ... Thanks again for the correction and accurate ID.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler
More Discussions