Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_welty

collecting rose campion seeds

ms_welty
16 years ago

Forgive me for this newbie question but I can't seem to find the answer on the site. I'm getting pretty good with good old store-bought perennials but just begininng to work with some seeds.

I have some rose campion (Lychnis Coronaria) growing in my garden and they do a nice job of self seeding but I would like to collect some seeds to spread in a new area.

When I split open the exausted flowers I see lots of tiny white seeds. Are these viable or do I need hold off and let them fry more and get darker in color.

As a test I was planning to sow some now and save a few to stratify in the house for spring planting.

Any thoughts???

Comments (8)

• ms_welty
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thx for the help annette.
    i suspected that i was taking the seeds too early. i'll have to be more patient...

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

In addition, even after the pods open and seed fall out, give them a little squeeze as sometimes a bunch get hung up. They should be fairly dry and crack as you pinch them.

When I harvest rose campion I take a pair of scissors and a large bowl so I can cut down and shake seed off at the same time. Some pods don't turn dark, just a light brown, so look for the opening at the top. I figure that when ma nature is ready to cut the seeds loose, they are ready. It's worked so far for four years of harvest.

• ms_welty
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sounds good. maybe i'll finally have some seeds to share with all of the people who have given me plants as i got the gardens started. i deadhead these quite a bit and they bloom for a long time. i love them coming up in the middle of some short sedum. the contrast in color and size is really nice...

any thoughts on a companion plant, maybe something with yellow flowers???

• bitterwort
    16 years ago

I'm growing rose campion this year for the first time simply because I saw a gorgeous photo of it paired with some short intensely blue larkspur and a white snapdragon as an accent. Can't wait until next year to see what that looks like in the garden...

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

If you like the fuschia and yellow mix try evening primrose. I got that mix accidentally this year, and it was quite a riot of colour. Not to everyone's fancy though. Will send you a pic. later.

• daphnelogue
    16 years ago

Thanks for your replies to the newbie: I collected my seeds this morning JUST like you said and it was a success!

THANK YOU!

• ms_welty
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks northerner, I might try that as I have some evening primrose in another area. I have learned to enjoy the accidents - for me gardening is never 100% planned. I 'suggest' with my planting and plans and mother nature tweaks the details.

ps. If you have a photo I'd love to see it.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions