Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed Saving On a very small scale:Is it possible?

Posted by whit3c00ki3 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 20:08

Hi I'm new to the forums but I've been gardening for a long time. Only recently have I wanted to save seed but I'm wondering if I can do it. I practically only have one of each plant including zucchini, tomato, patty pan, and an eggplant. I feel like if i let them go to seed they will stop producing and if I wait till the end of the season the fruits will be all deformed and unworthy of saving seed. So is it possible to save seed or is it even worth it? How would i go about doing it? Thanks for any input you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed Saving On a very small scale:Is it possible?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 22:50

Hi,
It depends on the plant. Tomato and Eggplant you can save seeds from with only one plant. Zucchini and Patty Pan cross with each other readily so saved seed would be no good.
Tomatoes you get seed from regular ripe fruit so it doesn't matter if it is fruit now or later.
Eggplant, you need to save seed from over ripe fruit. That might slow down production.
Whether the fruit is deformed or not does not affect the seed saved from a variety.
Remy

o

I have hundreds of chard, I've got to thin a dozen, that started with a single seed about this time last year.

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 13:31

those all sound complicated....my first seeds I saved were from kale, and arugula - super easy.

first - to get plats like the parent, the toms, eggplant etc would have to be open pollinated, not hybrid. If they are - then having only 1 is easy (so log as no neighbors have different varieties). Tom - i've had good luck just collecting the seeds on the cutting board after I make a sandwich or salad...with the eggplant - let the last viable fruit go all the way ripe.

With the squashes - you would need to make sure that a female blossom was only pollinated by the male on that plant. tie a male and female blossom shut before they open. then a day or so later when they're ready, take the male, pollinate the female, ad tie her up again. then let it mature past eating stage to make seeds....

but you might lose out on some produce this way...as the plant will feel it's done it's duty to make seed, and not pump out the fruits anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here