Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
petunia seeds

Posted by clairdo2 ontario canada (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 05 at 20:19

I haven't seen anything about petunia seed in this forum. can you tell me how to get them from my plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: petunia seeds

If I remember exactly--once the flower turns brown and "crispy" pull it off (it should pretty much fall off) you will find the seeds there.Not in the flower but where the flower was. They are pretty small and round (brownish color).

o

After the flower withers, there will be a green calyx which will swell and then turn brown and crack open. It will contain the seeds which are brown/black grains. Collect only after the calyx has turned brown, before that the seeds arent mature. I try to catch them just after they've started to crack open, but before the majority of the seeds have fallen out.

o

I have 2 wild collected Petunia integrifolia (=violaceae ) it's violette magenta color. One collected from Chile came to me this year via Longwood Garden. The plant is low growing with small to medium prolific flowers. It produces seed, some plants better than others.
On another Petunia integrifolia this one originally from Paraguay I rarely find seed pods. This winter I grew the Paraguayan Petunia from cuttings, (they were easy in the greenhouse and showy too. I planted them out early april and they continued to bloom all summer, infact they are just finishing, yet I can't find seed! They self sow, coming up once the soil warms up. I'm not sure how without any big plump seed pods. I have wild white Petunias (Petunia axillaris). They are fragrant and very reliable seed producers. They produce bushy plants that flop over and then send up vertical shoots. They will climb into my roses if given a chance. These are like the old fashioned ones that self sow, and once were common. I have seen hybrids of the two species which were big flowered and pale magenta.

I'm not sure if Petunia seed growers have some trick to getting good seed set. Anyone out there a professional seed grower?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here