Return to the Seed Saving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snow pea seeds

Posted by drcindy z8 WA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 25, 09 at 20:24

Hi all,

I've never saved seeds before so I thought I'd give it a try. I've seen my aunt dry out Chinese long beans in the sun so I thought I could do the same with my snow peas. These were the ones that I left on the vine too long; I picked them and laid them in the sun. Well, it's been broiling hot out here lately, much hotter than usual, and I just brought the seeds in and shelled them. The ones that look ok are mostly green but also partly light brown, like half and half. Are they viable or should I just toss them? Half of the seeds were totally dark brown and shriveled, so I threw those away. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snow pea seeds

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 21:18

Hi,
They might be good. When peas are good seeds they get shriveled, but they still have some plumpness to them and are hard. The color can be a pale green to pale brown or gray. As you knew the totally dark brown and shriveled were no good. For saving peas of any sort to get the hightest percent of viable pea, just leave the pods on the vines to dry. Once the pods have lost their color and are papery feeling, you can pick the peas and get rid of the plants.
Remy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Seed Saving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here